1.13.2011

Folk Night @ The Ship - Every Wednesday

I normally love The Ship, and I don't usually write negative reviews however I will probably never go to anopther folk night. The crowd was of a baby boomer generation and the general consensus in the bar was to be extremely quiet. Now I am all about loving the music, but I do that in a dancing and writing sort of way, not staring at the stage like some sort of hypnotized scenester. For someone to come around and tell a group of friends in their 20's to stop talking was extremely disrespectful. I really understand the other side of it as well, but you can't force people to like something. I don't tolerate disrespect and have never experienced this sort of behaviour in before at a show. And yes, we all love Ron Hynes, but I am not in awe. Ian Foster was good as well, and Matt Hornell as always, but I didnt leave the show with an inspiration to do something better with myself and the world. So I can only speak honestly about how I feel and maybe I am just to young, Vancouverized, and have too little life experience to fully enjoy Ron Hynes. Although John Cossar has a similar style he plays with a great conviction and emotion, totally lost in the song. Maybe for me thats the difference. And maybe becuase I could make an odd comment to my friends without being told to shut up like a kindergardner...funny they only did that when the "main" acts were playing. Wow...I think I'll only go to the ship if The Idlers or Newish Klezmer are playing. At least then you can talk and dance.
Well, Im out for now.
Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Peace ouuuut

No comments: