1.17.2011

Smokestack Lightning @ The Rose Jan 15th !

Well I had an amazing time...theres just something about middle aged musicians rocking out that does it for me. They did mostly covers, but as any good critic will say, if you make it your own than it can be wicked wicked -  and that they did and more. My only concern was the show started a bit late, not until 12, however these things happen and it was well worth the wait.
They opened the night with Gotta Serve Somebody - anyone who can do Dylan that good has my instant respect. Solid musicians, good solos, reminicinse of Pink Floyd for the guitar style, and awesome vocalist. Always on key, but with wicked projection and raspiness. Such a good energy and just a generally enjoyable night. Very talented drummer who had some cool tricks up his sleeve with an extra open snare.
The crowds started to turn up once they were being projected on to Water Street. I would actually book them for my wedding.
Once Terry Stone (Rio Samaya, 2nd asst direction on Republic of Doyle) showed up with his sax and larnyx things took on a whole different level of amazingness. Such fucking wicked unity, this band causes those moments in life where everything is fleetingly perfect in life. That squealing sax takes some mad technique to sound that fucking A. At one point Terry was climing the poles, standing dangerously on high sufaces while still singing and/or playing, he really just brought things to a whole new level of intensity.
The band had that rare ability to be both enjoyable yet still could poke fun of themselves if they fucked up and interact with the audience.
Great Great time.Wish I had some better adjectives today but I am very tired and preparing for an event I helping to throw down tonight for The War Resisters Support Campaign. I may just go out again later so there will probably be a new review tomorrow.
Check out this sick link I found ... http://thetequilarockingbirds.com/nfbandpage.htm
Well until next time, much love.
I need fucking caffeine.
Bye!

No comments: