1.15.2011

Punk Show @ The Rose and Thistle Jan 14/10

Good show with wicked Lineup! Here goes:

Problem Child-Fairly new band, the only thing I could uncover was a slightly outdated BlueKaffee post for one of their shows.
http://www.bluekaffee.com/topicview.php?topic=103933
Lost Weekend
Tied Down - my fiance bought their tape, it is well put together and I really enjoyed their intensity.
http://tiedxdown.blogspot.com/
Severed Tongue
http://www.last.fm/music/Severed+Tongue
Real Funeral Time - runner up for Best Band Name in The Scope's Best of 2010 Survey
http://thescope.ca/bestofstjohns/best-of-st-johns-2010/best-band-name-2
My other half was also a runner up for An Oprhan's Inventory - I didn't vote that, I swear!!

This music is best enjoyed on a buzz of either alcohol, marijuana or trace amounts of anger. They each had a separate and obvious talent, guitar skill and intensity. I did enjoy the show apart from the fact that the general audience looked like a high school theater arts class and the unwelcome vibe I got for not looking the part made just slightly uncomfortable. I mean, if we collectively enjoy a type of music or want to support the scene than why does it matter who has newer vans, a better plaid shirt or fifth grader backpack? I just think that at some point you have to say to yourself, maybe instead of purchasing more studs for your dads old jean jacket, perhaps you could do something like donate to Oxfam, pay the student loan on your fine arts degree or even (gasp!) invest in your future. Although this general rant has nothing to do with the music, it does determine a lot of people's overall enjoyment. The music deserves to be appreciated, although next time I may just avoid the Yuppie bullshit and do it from the comfort of my own home. It may be a contradiction for a group that seems open minded and original to be so unaccepting to everyones style - just pointing out what many people think! These guys were fucking awesome, dont get me wrong. Maybe I am too old and goal oriented to enjoy this particular scene. But will always La La Loveee the music!! I can be a closet punk rocker ... but wherever I go and whoever I meet I will accept with more than open arms! :D
When people are who they are, it really shows, and thats what makes all the difference :)
God, maybe my engagement ring is starting to seep precious metals into my pores and make me cynical.
Fuck it, no one reads this shit anyway!
Peace and love as always!
Leslie soon to be Wagner.

No comments: